The Five Edges of Modern Education
Treating these Edges as Portals into Amplifying Modern Pedagogy
There has been a significant amount of dialogue about the future of education and what constitutes a modern learning environment. After much deliberation, research and practice, it seems the Five Edges of Modern Education and Learning are
1) philosophical foundations,
2) pedagogical approaches,
3) the routines and structures,
4) the skills, competencies, attributes, and dispositions,
5) approaches to content.
However, what do these conversations of the ‘Five Edges’ look like on the ground in your classroom or school? This session will allow participants to discuss, share, and consider their own approach to education and learning in our current realities. In this session, we will discover how the five embracing edges of modern education can help us not only to design but to implement and support modern education and learning.
- To develop our own understanding of the value and purpose of a modern learning environment.
- To consider and practice various routines, structures, and frameworks for modern learning.
- To discover opportunities to bring modern learning into your own contexts.
- To provide our students with choice and voice in the ideas, projects, and manners of communication.
Plan how to organize and support modern learning projects within your school.
- Construct and implement a new vision for student projects/presentations that embrace student-choice, voice, and authentic audiences.
- Meet new people, develop new relationships, and witness the power of relationships in a modern learning environment.
- Experience modern learning structures and routines that can be used in your class.
- Apply modern learning strategies to your own contexts and curriculum.
- Learn from and with participants.
Sean Walmsley is a iLearning Coach at American International School – Riyadh. iLearning is a learning philosophy that focuses on individual student interests, imagination, innovation, and independent learning journeys. An iLearning Integration Coach supports, facilitates, models and inspires innovative teaching and learning practices. Sean’s educational endeavors include creating large-scale performing arts video projects (https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL87KWoEQI8MSajiPOek3VCi-qY5IKWa5J) such as AIS-R Grade 5 Lip Dub, AIS-R K-12 Lip Dub, #thisismyschool and G5 Rewind, directing TEDxYouth@AISR, #thisismyschool Film Festival and presenting on transformational technology integration, Anything TV and the importance of student-directed learning.