Making Mathematics Sustainable
This interactive workshop will explore how mathematics teachers of all grade levels can transform their units into inquiry-based projects and rich mathematical tasks inspired by the United Nations Global Goals for Sustainable Development. This allows students to master both content standards and mathematical practices, so that they can apply math authentically to solve real-world problems.
We know that students need to understand math conceptually, show their thinking in a variety of ways, and be able to solve real-world problems. But, how can you transform your current math units into rich and authentic opportunities for students to apply math in meaningful ways?
The United Nations Sustainable Development Goals! Teaching math with SDGs is the perfect way to raise awareness of key global issues, as well as support students in finding solutions that will have a positive impact on the world. This session will also provide teachers time to make global connections and plan ways to collaborate and stay connected.
Elementary School & Middle School
Participants will learn how to redesign their current mathematical units to incorporate the Sustainable Development Goals, and how to transform assessments into rich tasks and inquiry-based projects.
- Examine samples of rich tasks and inquiry-based projects, inspired by the SDGs
- Plan a sample lesson using the Launch, Explore, Discuss math workshop model
- Transform current math assessments into real-world mathematical rich tasks
- Explore ways to integrate technology into the math classroom, for both creating and sharing content
- Explore ways that students can share their thinking, through Visible Thinking and Number Talks
- Connect with other teachers and create global collaboration projects for your students
- Develop a plan so you can share what you’ve learned with your colleagues and school community
For the past 10 years, Jancey has taught overseas, as a classroom teacher, a Learning Coach, and professional development consultant. Jancey is the co-creator of The Global KIND Project, creator of The Professional Passion Project, a Social Media Advocate for The Educator Collaborative, and steering committee member of an ASCD Connected Community.
Jancey is certified as a Math Specialist in International Schools, and she is obsessed with creating meaningful learning opportunities and authentic assessments. Jancey is an avid tweeter, blogger, and writer for educational organizations.